8 Things to Know About Papaya King in Hollywood
8 Things to Know About SBE's Latest Spot, Papaya King, Opening Today!
When Sam Nazarian's company SBE opens a new spot in town, I'm all eyes and ears . . . and tongue. Papaya King (1645 Wilcox Ave., 323-871-8799) — New York's hot dog guru for 79 years — opens to the public at 11 a.m. today. Though we can't get an inside peek until later this morning — stay tuned for photos — let's get to know it from the outside. Learn eight exciting facts about it now, and then head to what's sure to be the most buzzed about eatery in Hollywood.
- Papaya King was founded in New York by Gus Poulos and has been around since 1932.
- It was the first restaurant to fuse fruity drinks like papaya with sausages.
- There are three other locations, two in New York and one in New Jersey.
- The menu has six classic combos to choose from: the original (two franks with kraut, NY onions, relish, and papaya drink); chili combo (two franks with chili and papaya juice); king combo (two franks with kraut, NY onions, relish, papaya drink, and curly fries); jumbo sausage (all-beef sausage with sautéed onions and peppers, papaya drink, and curly fries); the 1932 (frank with kraut, NY onions, relish, papaya drink, and curly fries); and grand slam (two specialty franks or three classic franks, papaya drink, and curly fries).
- Besides papaya, other tropical drinks are mango, orange, grape, coconut champagne, piña colada, strawberry fields, and banana daiquiri.
- There are also fresh smoothies like papaya pride and pineapple surprise and fresh-squeezed juices like grapefruit and apple.
- Side orders you can get are curly fries with cheese, sweet potato fries, and NYC knish.
- Papaya King is on Twitter @PapayaKingLA.